Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V is for Victory

Growing up, I learned very early that I didn't like to lose.  I really wasn't that great of a loser.  Victory was the only option.

Whether it's cards, sports, board games, etc, etc, etc.  Whatever it was, I wanted to win. 

As I grew older, I realized winning wasn't as important.  Don't get me wrong, I still like to win.  I still will throw a fit once in while but I have mellowed through the years.  I have realized that as long as I have my lovely wife Misty, my friends and family, and Jesus, I have already won.  I am already victorious.  Victory is mine.  I think I started to mellow on being so competitive after I got married.

I wasn't always like that.  The thing I never liked to lose at was tennis.  I think it was because it was the one sport I was actually decent at.  I remember my friend Brian and I had a huge rivalry.  I didn't want to lose to him because I had something to prove.  He didn't want to lose this plump out of shape guy.  I won more times than I lost. when I lost I wasn't happy.  One time, he kept on egging me on.  I was actually beating him. He kept on rushing the net, and I kept on hitting winners down the line.  He said that I didn't have any game.  Eventually, he got under my skin, and I actually threw my racket towards him.  Not one of my proudest moments.  I remember breaking a few rackets by slamming it on the tennis court.  I was a sore loser.  I wasn't proud of my actions, but I think through those actions, it made me realize I needed to change the way I went about things.  I have mellowed through the years.  I haven't got a chance to play as often as I want.  Stupid knees and heels.  But when i get healthy. I challenge you Brian to a "friendly" game of tennis.  Don't worry I won't throw my racket at you.

Bowling used to be heated.   Brian has definately got the upper hand in bowling.  I don't get upset anymore when he beats me in bowling.  He is just better than me.  I am just hoping I get lucky and beat him again some day. 

I still get excited and get pumped up when I play well, but I don't let it bother me nearly as much when I don't play well.  Like I said before, I have already won.  I got Misty, family and friends, and Jesus.  Victory is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment