Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for Richard

I have had the fortune of having 3 special Richard's in my life.  One of them I will be talking about in my next post.
A tribute to my dad. That is my dad singing

Today I am going to be talking about my two dads.

 My dad was a very special man who was taken away from us way too soon.  Please check out this video tribute that my sister Dot made.  That is my dad singing.  He was into country music.

My dad's name was Richard.  He went by Dick. As I talked about in my blog about baseball, my dad and I had baseball in common.  We watched sports together all the time, especially Cubs baseball.  My dad was always the life of the party.  He is always the one cracking the jokes.  He would talk to you like he knew you all his life.  He loved to sing country sings.  Mom would get the accordian or guitar out, and he would sing country music.  He was a big fan of Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash. He also had some hilarious songs he would sing that wouldn't be appropriate for this blog.  :) My dad also had some funny sayings as well.  What are you smart feller or fart smeller?  You're as sharp a rat turd and that's sharp on both ends.  Have you been drinking muddy water, because I can't see the TV?  :)

The funniest story of my dad was when my dad found a snake in the garage.  It was a huge snake.  My dad, like Indiana Jones, was afraid of snakes.  He ran out of the garage a million miles an hour.  Our neighbor Frank came over and was laughing his butt off and he killed the snake with a hoe.  My dad, thinking the snake was dead holds up the snake to show it off and the bottom of the snake starts to coil and he threw the snake up and ran away.  I was crying I was laughing so hard.

My dad was a very hard worker and provided for his family.  He worked on the Railroad, and sometimes would work very long days.  It was a hard job. Then he would come home and work on things in the garage.  I definately didn't get any of that fix it up stuff from my dad.  My dad came to my baseball games, and he swelled up with pride when I got my first base hit, which happened to be a double in the gap.  He was standing up and he had the biggest grin on his face that I ever saw.  I wasn't all that great at sports.  Theatre was my thing.  He came to all my plays, and was bursting with pride after every performance I did.
He was very proud of me.

He definately expected that we treated mom with respect.  I remember I told my mom something I shouldn't have, and he shoved me to the floor.  "DON"T EVER TALK TO YOUR MOM LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!"  I definately didn't after that.

My dad was so proud that I was the first Thieman to go to college.  I wish he could have seen me graduate.  I wish he would have had a chance to meet Misty.  I miss him and I hope he is proud of the man I have become.


Who would have thought that 13 years later after my father's death I would get a father figure back in my life and his name happens to be Richard as well.  He is my father in law Richard Corn.  He goes by Rick.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of my dad.  He has a great sense of humor.  He is a hard worker.  He puts his family first. 

He likes to raz me about my clumsiness and lack of home improvement skills.  However, he is always willing to help me out.  He fixed our lawnmower after I accidentally put gas in the oil tank.  He fixed a couple of our ceiling fans.  He is a jack of all trades.  Right now he is working on remodeling their basement.  He actually let me do a little demo.  That was actually kind of fun.  The biggest project we worked on was our deck.  As you can see in the picture, I actually helped out with that.  I never got a chance to do this stuff with my dad.  Before I met Rick, my knowledge of home improvement was probably a 1 out of a 10.  I am probably at least a good solid 2.5 now.  :)

Something he can do that my dad couldn't do is cook!  We enjoy going over there, especially if we here Rick is grilling something.

I am so happy that God brought me to this family.  They all have welcomed me with open arms.  Rick is a pretty cool dude, and I am so glad to have him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment