Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for Friends

I am so lucky to have so many great friends growing up.  I would like to introduce you all to my friends.

Kyle Coots-  Kyle was my 1st best friend in elementary school.  I was a shy kid, and he was one of the first kids ever to hang out with me.  We were unseparable.  I remember many a sleepovers playing the Atari 2600 playing baseball, and each of us would get mad because it was incredibly easy to hit home runs in the game.  I remember that our first sleepover.  I know a lot of you will find this gross, but we had a farting contest.  The things boys do! :)  We also would talk about which girls we thought were the cutest.  His family moved to Wisconsin after 6th grade.  I was devastated.  Unfortunately we have lost contact with each other, but I will never forget my first best friend.

Bobby Foote-  Bobby and I became really close after Kyle moved.  I loved Bob and his family.  They were definitely kind of country family.  I remember Bob had a pet raccoon, that we would feed.  Bob and I got in a lot predicaments.  I call one the fishing incident.  Bob and I were fishing in a pond behind his house and he cast back his pole, and the hook went into my arm, fishworm and all.  Now, normal people would have cut the line.  Not Bob and I, we started walking back to the house, with him holding the pole.  Everytime he would jerk a little bit, I'd go "Ouch"  When we got back to the house, his mom cut the line.  Duh!  They then took me to the doctors office where they took the hook out, and gave me tetanus shot.  I remember Bob crying because he hurt me.  The other incident was the bow and arrow incident.  Bob and I were shooting bow and arrows.  One of them went into the road, and I ran out to get it.  All of a sudden I here Bobby yelling "Duck"  Bob had proceeded to shoot a bow straight up in the air and it was coming towards me.  Of course, I am thinking what good is ducking going to do, so I just ran around in circles, and the arrow hit 3 feet from me.  Whew!  Bob and I had so many good times together.  Bob and I lost touch after high school, but I am hoping to build that friendship back up.

Seth Baldwin-  Seth was another really good friend of mine.  Seth and I had a lot of fun at sleepovers.  There are couple of things that come in mind with Seth stories.  I remember doing funny tapes with him.  We would do little skits on the tape recorder.  One was "Dattie and Son" It was hilarious.  I remember we loved to play Mad Libs.  I think Seth and I had the best Mad Libs.  Seth was a very talented trumpet player.  At 6:00 in the morning, he would start playing his trumpet to the tune.  "It's time to get up, It's time to get up, It's time to get up in the morning."  I have a lot of fond memories of Seth.  I am very proud of him.  He is now a lawyer.

Brian Peterson-  Brian and I were close in high school, but we became a lot closer in college and our adult life.  Out of all my friends, I hang out with Brian the most today.  I find it crazy we are so close because Brian and I got at each other's throats so much.  We have a lot of different beliefs about things, but we just have so much fun when we hang out.  Brian and I play a lot of tennis and bowling.  We are super competitive against each other.  We do not want to lose. He has the upper hand in bowling but I will beat you next time.    I remember Brian coming over to our house and my mom made him one of his favorite sandwiches at the time.  It was a peanut butter jelly jelly bean sandwich.  Yuck!   Also, I guess I can't get enough of Brian.  Brian went to Northwest, I went to Northwest.  Brian moved to Minnesota.  I moved to North Dakota, not too far away.  He moved to Kansas City.  I moved to Kansas City.  It is almose like I was stalking him.  I am very happy for my friend Brian right now as he has found love in his new wife Vicki.

Jerry Zach- Jerry is the one in the picture.   Jerry was one of my best friends in high school, and became my best friend after school.  I think what made Jerry and I click was we had so much in common. Both Jerry and I are huge sports fans, and Jerry and I could talk about sports all day.  We still do today!  Jerry hung out my house a lot.  I rememeber he would call every day to his mom's work, and I say "May I please speak to Pat Zach"  I was thinking they know who you are Jerry. You can just say "Can I speak to my mom please?"  I remember playing Tecmo Super Bowl until the wee hours in the morning.  Mom would get so mad at us.    I think one of the funniest moments with Jerry was when we went to the Mall of America.  We took the hotel shuttle to the Mall.  We both had a few cocktails.  After a while, I was bound and determined that we weren't going to catch the shuttle back to the hotel.  I was saying "We're not going to make it!  We're not going to make it."  Jerry grabbed my shoulders,  and he said "Damn it Troy, We're gonna make it."  And we did!   Jerry and I don't hang out nearly as much as we used too.  After all, he does have two sets of twins. I hope to reconnect with my good friend Jerry at some point. 

Mike Miller-  I met Mike in college.  We were freshman, and the movie Lean On Me was playing, and he came over and sat by me.  I was so thankful he did because we have been really good friends since then. 
Mike has the most wit that I know.  He can have a conversation with anyone and make them feel like he has known them for years. He has a very kind heart.  My wife is a little scared of him now because of his taste in music.  lol.  Mike and I went through a lot in college, but we had so much fun.  We had a lot of fun at parties.  I probably shouldn't go into a lot of details about those parties. :) Let's just say we had a great time.  We also loved going to Bearcat games.  I remember heckling the team we were playing.  Finally, the guy turned around, and told us he was going to kick our butts after the game.  We also enjoyed giving our friend Janice a hard time.  I don't think Mike thought I would go down and tell this guy that Janice thought he was hot. I of course did it and embarassed the heck out of her.   Earlier in my life, I was more shy and timid.  I think Mike really opened me up more and I became a lot more outgoing thanks to him.  I still hang out Mike quite a bit.  He is married to the lovely Jami, and has two wonderful kids.

Of course my very best friend is my lovely wife Misty.  These people along with my parents did the most in shaping how my life has turned out.  I am very lucky to have friends like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment