Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E is for Engagement

On a cool October evening I made a decision that was going to change my life forever.  I knew the time was right.   Tonight was the night I was going to ask Misty Dawn Corn to marry me. 

As you all know, I am married to the greatest woman in the world Misty.  :)  After our 1st date, I knew there was something special about her.  She took a little more convincing but by the third date, she started to come around.  Our relationship grew quickly. and after a few months I realized Misty was who I wanted to spend the rest of my days with.   I was going to ask her to marry me.  We talked about it before, and she had a feeling something was up that night.  I am usually terrible about keeping surprises from Misty.  She usually is able to get it out of me.  This time, she was taken totally by surprise with the events of the evening.
So here is the story of our Engagement Night. 

It was on a Friday.  Misty got up in the morning, and kissed me goodbye and headed to work.  Then I went into action.  I decorated the apartment with a bunch of streamers and balloons.  I also had little memories all over the apartment, of remember whens.  They were special moments in our relationship.   I also got her a huge card about the size of a movie poster.  I also prepared a scavenger hunt for her.  So after I got all this set up, I was off to the Sheraton Suites at the plaza.  My friend Brian came there and helped me get set up, and he was also was going to pick up Misty.  The last clue of the before mentioned scavenger hunt led her to the computer where she turned it on and it said "Your driver will be here shortly."   He was under strict orders not to tell Misty where she was going. 

I originally was going to propose to her at the end of the date, but I couldn't wait.  I decided to propose when she got there.  I put some rose petals on the floor that let to the bedroom in the suite.  I put the ring on the bed, so that when she opened the french door, the ring would be right there.  I then hid in the bathroom and was going to come out after she saw the ring.  The plan was in action.  Brian dropped off Misty, pinned a corsage on her, and sent her up to my room.  She came into the room, followed the roses and she opened the french doors to the bedroom and gasped.  I then came out of the bathroom, got on one knee and proposed to her.  I of course was a blumbering mess.  She said YES!!!  And all was good in the world!

We didn't have too much time to celebrate.  I had a full evening planned.  The first thing we did was a Cinderella carriage ride on the plaza.  We felt like a prince and princess.  I think a lot of people thought we just got married.  It was really romantic.  It was really chilly that night so we cuddled pretty close.  Very Nice.

After the carriage ride, I had dinner reservations for at Figlios.  It was a very romantic Italian restaurant.  The food was amazing.

I had one other thing planned.  This was supposed to be where I was going to propose.  We had a Gondala Ride on Brush Creek.  It was so romantic, as we felt like we were in Italy.  It was a great setting until the Gondalier asked me if I could pick up this object in the water.  Misty was thinking why the heck does he want us to pick up trash?  She was really confused.  When we got closer, she realized it was a decorated bottle with a cork on top, and then she figured out what was going on. Inside was my proposal letter that I wrote.  I set this up with the gondalier a few weeks before.  This was supposed to be the moment I proposed.  Basically, Misty got two proposals from me in one evening.  :)

We then back in the hotel room and had a couple cocktails and called our parents with the news.

This was one of the best nights of my life.  I am so thankful that God brought Misty to me.

1 comment: