Saturday, April 23, 2011

T is for Theatre

When I was growing up, I knew acting was something I wanted to do.  I remember playing Dukes of Hazzard at recess and I would always act like I was Luke Duke.  It started at a young age.  I remember my brother and I doing funny skits on the tape recorder. 

Through junior high, I was usually the one picked on during school.  I think it was because I didn't have an identity.  I loved to play sports but I really wasn't good at it.  I was a B Student, so I wasn't dumb but not the smartest.    I was just average.  There is nothing wrong with being average, but I wanted more.

I remember going to a school play when I was in junior high, and I knew it was something I wanted to do. 
I got into theatre my freshman year in high school.  I was lucky enough to be cast in every play during my high school years.  My first big part was in my sophomore year in a musical "Gaslight Girl"  I played this recovering drunk named Milo Smark.  To this day, it is probably the most fun I have ever had on stage.  I remember going out for the curtain call, and as soon as I stood on stage the crowd stood up and gave me a standing ovation.  It was one of the biggest thrills in my life.  I went onto win Best Actor at my school that year.

After that play, I got my nitch in high school.  It was in speech and drama.  I had the respect of the student body, and it felt good!  :)

Why did I love acting so much?  It was a release for me.  It allowed me to be someone totally different than I was.  In class, I might be the quiet shy kid.  On stage, I came to life. 

I did a total of 12 plays in high school.  I also did a lot of acting in speech contests.   After high school, I went onto Northwest Missouri State and was cast in 3 plays there.  After getting out of college, I stayed involved in theatre and performed in a lot of community theatre and church plays .  I  have done 6 shows in community theatre and 3 church plays.

I have had the great fortune of playing a lot of great roles.  My favorite roles I have played include Milo Smark of course in Gaslight Girl, Bernard Mergendeiler in Feiffers People, Starbuck in The Rainmaker,  Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, Oscar in The Odd Couple, Detective Troughton in Run For Your Wife, Howard in Moon Over Buffalo, Daniel Webster in "The Devil and Daniel Webster" and Judas in The Living Last Supper.

I haven't performed in a little over 5 years now.  I am definately getting the itch to get back into it.  My dream would be to start a community theatre in Odessa, Missouri.  I think it would be great for Odessa and great for Lafayette County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment