Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Baptism & Confirmation Day

AUGUST 21st, 2011- BAPTISM AND CONFIRMATION DAY

I thought what a better day to talk about the day I was baptized then on my birthday!  On August 21st, 2011 I experienced a rebirth and it was fist pumping good! 

On Saturday August 20th, I had to go into work.  All I could think about all day was the next day.  I knew the next day I was going to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Community of Christ Church.  I ended up having to work until about 8:00 that night.  During work, I got a text from my mother in law that she wanted me to come over.  I think we both had the same concern.  After all, my mother in law was the one who was performing the baptism.  If you don't know, I am a fairly large man.  I was wondering how my mother in law was going to do this.  So at 10:00 that night Misty and I went to her house and got in their pool, which was freezing cold, to practice dunking.  After a couple of successful dunks, we both felt better we could pull this off.  My big concern was not being able to get back up out of the water, and I would be just splashing around like crazy in there. 

Sunday, August 21st, it was the big day.  As I got dressed that morning in my white button up and khaki's, I was reflecting on me how big of a day this was.  I wanted to be sure I was in the front row.  I was excited to get this going. 

At the beginning of the service, Bruce Watson mentioned how a lady Misty didn't know was hugely impacted by Misty's blogs.  I was so proud and pleased with Misty that her words inspired someone she didn't even know.  Misty is truly a disciple through her words.  I am very blessed to have her as my wife.

Then the baptisimal charge started.  I was extremely honored be sharing this day with Rachel who was also being baptized.  Jeff Kramer did the baptisimal charge and he truly touched me.  He said that by reading my blogs, it made him want to be a better husband.   He truly made me feel like family.   At one point, he had Rachel and I stand up and had the congregation repeat.  He would say Troy's.  The congregation would say family.  I remember the moment, I stood up and faced the congregation, my body went numb and tingled.  I could truly feel God's presence like I have never felt it before.  It was truly the most amazing feeling I have ever felt.

So now we are to the point of baptism.  Rachel went first, and I could tell it was a great moment for her.  After Rachel went, My mother in law walked to the back.  She headed down in the water.  The first thing I noticed is this was a lot shallower than the swimming pool.  OH BOY!!  As I walked in the water, all those fears went away, and I remember, I just started crying.  I don't know why.  The emotions overwhelmed me.  At the moment of baptism, Mom dunked me in the water.  I wanted to make sure I could get as low as possible because I didn't want to have a do over.  I was able to fight back up to my feet, and I was so happy.  It was truly an emotional experience. I gave my mother in law a great big hug!   As I was leaving the baptisimal font I threw a fist pump up in the air.  I was like "YES, This is what a baptism is supposed to feel like."  Praise Jesus!  My pastor Bruce was at the top of the stairs to greet me, and we shared a nice big hug as well. 

I found out later on that Jeff, Eric, and Bruce were kind of back ups in case there was any trouble getting me back up to my feet.  Somebody put a bug in their ear that there could be some issues.  I think that was Daddy Corn!  Also, I think Daddy Corn could have put a little more water in that font.  :)

After my baptism, I got dressed really fast.  Momma Corn realized I didn't button my shirt right so I had to go back and button up my shirt again.  Misty wanted to make sure I looked good for my confirmation.

I had the great pleasure of having my grandma Carol Sadler and my pastor Bruce Watson confirm me as a member.  Grandma said the prayer.  It touched me how hard she worked on that prayer.  I could feel the presence of the Lord as Carol and Bruce's hands were layed upon my head.  I could also here Bruce's belly.  :)  Grandma's prayer was very informative and had a lot of heart.  It was one of the best prayers I have ever heard.  I was wondering how I was going to remember it all.  Luckily Grandma, wrote it down and gave me a copy so I can cherish it forever.  I am humbled and proud to be a member of the Community of Christ Church.  (FIST PUMP)

August 21 2011 marked the beginning of a new life for me!

3 comments:

  1. Troy you inspire us all... You and Misty are a couple of really down to earth people that we The Dutel's are blessed to have in our lives.... Double Fist Pump!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article, Troy. Thank you so much for sharing your baptismal experience with me - it was "almost" like being there. Welcome to the family, my brother. Luv ya - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy,
    You are an awesome man, and disciple of Christ! Misty waited a long time to find just the right man to share her life with, and I thank God she found you! There's no question in my mind that God put you two together for a reason (or more than one reason actually). He has a great work or the two of you to do... your journey has just begun! Thank you for having faith that with God we could make this baptizum work (me being so short and all)! I was honored that you chose me to share in your special day! LOVE YOU!
    MOM C.

    ReplyDelete